Asbestos is a versatile material (includes chrysolite, amosite, crocidolite, tremolite asbestos, anthophyllite asbestos, actinolite asbestos, and any of these minerals that have been chemically treated and/or altered) used in the manufacture of asbestos products such as asbestos cement pipe, sheets, gaskets, packing, brake linings, lagging material, and in architectural uses such as walls and ceilings.
While the Environment Department promotes the recycling of materials including used containers, it also requires that any person doing this comply with environmentally acceptable and safe procedures.
Exposure to airborne asbestos dust or fiber by inhalation during the course of production, construction related works using asbestos containing materials, storage, handling, removal, transportation and disposal of wastes containing asbestos, may result in asbestosis , lung cancer and other lung disorders.
Dubai Municipality Occupational Health and Safety Regulations require individual and companies dealing with Asbestos to take all necessary steps to:
- To control and prevent exposures to airborne asbestos fibers above 0.1f/cc (8hr TWA) in the working environment.
- To prevent harm to community health.
- Eliminate risks to workmen as well as the public.
- To provide clear guidelines on asbestos handling, storage and disposal.
Registrations & Accreditations
- Dubai Municipality Environmental Department (DM EPSS)
- Dubai Municipality occupational Health & Safety Department (DM PH&SD)
- EHS Trakhees-Jafza (PCFC)
- Environment Protection and Development Authority Ras Al Khaimah (EPDA)